Saturday 15 January 2022

I can't believe it's been almost a year! - Death Guard update

 Just over 10 months! 10 months to paint around 26 models ... and last year I painted 157 Poxwalkers in 3 months!


Okay so let's go back a bit. February 2021 I had just finished tranche four of my Adeptus Titanicus army. Next was my fourth Death Guard army. This themed army was based around the 1st company and consisted of Terminators, Hellbrutes and Land Raiders. It's not a lie to say that I was really looking forward to this themed list. I had purchased two Forgeword Land Raiders to keep up my '30k armoured vehicle feel' and I had three Hellbrutes; two new units which I had never fielded before.


As four months dragged onto six months, which then dragged onto eight months sadly, I couldn't wait to get the army finished. I wasn't painting any less; it's just - though beautiful - Death Guard terminator models - especially Deathshrouds - have so much detail on them. The two Lords of Virulence took a particular long time due to the fact that I had assembled them in full before painting; when I should have kept their 'skirt' separate. The Land Raiders, on the other hand, surprised me in how quickly I could get them done.


Anyway the army is now done and, I suppose, that I should try and forget the last 10 months or so. i wish I could. Sat upstairs, behind my painting table, are 9 more Deathshroud Terminators (to make 18) and 10 Blightlords. I also want one more Land Raider. Still; no more Hellbrutes hey!






Wolverine with a cold; what's not too like about a Death Guard Chaos Lord with a pair of lighting claws. Okay not the most competitive choice however ... super cool! My only wish is that I had made the lighting claws a little longer.





A lot of players don't rate the Lord of Virulence however, I think he's already and certainly a choice to be considered. The fact that his flamer is 12" (and he can deep strike 9") is pretty good ... especially with Viscous Death pathogen. Not sure if i will ever take two but, you never know!





Both of these are not strictly new. I painted the once with more 'black' to accompany my existing Blightspawn. A superb unit to hang around with Deathshrouds in a Land Raider ... which is handy! I've painted the two slightly different so it's easy to see who has the Revolting Stench-vats relic.






Again, not all Blightlords are strictly new; I already have three painted prior. Even with 15 I am still not finished. I would like...

1x with a Blight Launcher

2x with a Reaper Autocannon

3x with a Plague Spewer

1x with a combi-flamer and a sword (other two have axes)

1x with a combi-plasma and a sword (other two have axes)

5x with combi-bolters and a mixture of axes and swords

The below should give me three units of ten with a good mix of weapons to choose from.






These are quickly becoming my favourite Death Guard unit of 9th ... and it's pretty easy to see why. With so many attacks, a unit of four (for only 200pts) will chew through almost anything. Add a Blightspawn and the enemy is really in trouble.

This is why I have another 9 so that I can have three units of six ... nasty!





I've magnetised and painted all weapon options for all three Hellbrutes so that I can have any combination I want. It was a mission I can tell you; me and magnets do not get on (see my Adeptus Titanicus posts for proof) but it was worth it. I do feel that I will be using these as a shooting platform mostly with a Missile Launcher and a Heavy Plasma Cannon. The reason; nothing, i feel, says 'Chaos' like a Heavy Plasma Cannon.






I know that they are terrible however, you cannot do a 1st Company without Land Raiders. I went for the Forgeworld ones to keep up the '30K look of the tanks' with my Rhinos. These models are lovely and really have a dominating presence on the battlefield (and my bank balance).







So that's it! Apologise about the lighting for the photos. I have a 2 year old therefore, I do not have the luxury of picking the best weather to take photos therefore; I took them from inside and did a mixture of flash/ no flash.


My current 2000pt 1st Company list is

2x Hellbrutes at the back with Missile Launchers and Heavy Plasma Cannons to provide support

2x Land Raiders each with 4 Deathshroud Terminators and a Blightspawn. One unit has a Malignant Plague Caster and one Blightspawn has the Revolting Stench-vats as my Relic.

2x units of 5 Blightlord Terminators with a flail, combi-melta, combi-flamer, Blight Launcher and a combi-bolter. These deep strike onto the table.

1x Lord of Virulence (who is my Warlord) with Hulking Physique and Viscous Death pathogen. He is also deep striking onto the field.

9 Command Points due to two Vanguard Detachments.


Right that's it I think! 

Hopefully it won't be as long next time!


Until next time; Toodle Pip!

3 comments:

  1. Nice army, I am pro plague flamer and pro terminator. I am not so fast at painting land raiders and doubt I would run two, but I have three hell brutes (dreadnoughts) painted and might paint another if I had an opinion on what the optimal armament was in 9th Edition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice (in a disgusting way). Loving the '30K' style raiders, remind me of the first one released many moons ago. I know what you mean about more detailed models - love the Knights Panther I did recently, but at times it was a slog doing all the details, and I've taken nearly a year to do maybe a quarter of a Ludwig Schwarzhelm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These guys have been stuck in the warp for 10,000 years ... I can't see them having the latest gear so I like the 30k tanks

    ReplyDelete