Tuesday 26 March 2019

Titans Roam these lands! - Part 2


Five months after starting my Legio Mortis Adeptus Titanicus army, I can proudly say that it is finally finished (or is it? Is a wargaming project ever finished?. What I should say is that, I have painted all of the Adeptus Titanics models I currently own). I've enjoyed painting the models though, I am now ready to get back painting something more … putrid.

This has been a strange project. Looking back; I've spend approximately £400 – and five months – building the models for a game that, to date, I have only played twice. This project has been filled with concern; so much so that, I almost didn't start the project at all. It would appear that, the image of huge titans stalking alien worlds (and part-taking in colossal land-battles) was enough to see me through to a very satisfactory conclusion.

As I write this blog, I am struggling to think of a logical starting-point. I feel that, the most logical place to start would be with a completely different game system … and then you might understand the worries and concerns I had before starting this project!

Aeronautica Imperialis


Released in 2007, Aeronautica Imperialis was one of Forge World's first games. Beautifully simple, the game seemed to simulate air-to-air combat incredibly well. The models were beautiful, the rulebook was beautiful. It seemed like a perfect package and I plunged straight in and bought a huge Tau fleet (which can be seen here).

Many a dog-fight was had been myself and my mate 'Commander Alan'. Air supremacy was won and lost over many alien planets … all from the comfort of Warhammer World's gaming area. Between turns, I often looked across into the Forge World shop to see blister pack of Aeronautica Imperialis branded products, completely unaware that soon … the game would no longer be supported.

I now find myself with a huge Tau fleet, a painted Manta which has never been seen on a tabletop, and a single fleet for a game which I thoroughly enjoy (and I want to show others). Sure, I have enough Tau stuff to split 'between two' (and I can rustle up the odd Imperial Thunderbolt from my EPIC armies) but, as I am sure you'll agree, it's not quite the same as having two completely different fleets.

Adeptus Titanics is released!

July 2018 and Games Workshop announce the pre-order of Adeptus Titanicus. I was so excited that it was hard to not press the 'pre-order now' button … but it wasn't impossible. Memories of Aeronautica Imperialis came flooding back. Would Games Workshop / Forge World support this game system? With it being based within the Horus Heresy period, will the model range only be Warhound, Reaver, Warlord titans and knights? Does it matter if it was only based on those four units? I spent a while searching the internet, trying to find out more information about this most anticipated release, and if it's future looked bright.

Eventually, I pre-ordered the Grand Master box set however, I had made a binding agreement with myself. This time, I would paint enough models so that I could field ALL the models (opponents and mine) required for an evening's game (3 hours or so). The small range of models didn't bother me that much. Adeptus Titanicus would never be my main game; I just needed enough stuff for two to have a game every 'once in a while'. I did, however, want to make sure that there were plenty of options so that, forces could feel different, and that players had freedom to choose different units and upgrades. The army would still be painted in one livery (for larger battles) and that would be Legio Mortis!



Why Legio Mortis?

Because I have fallen to Chaos. My main game is Warhammer 40,000 and, within that universe, I play Death Guard. I started playing 40k when the new Death Guard models were released and I was instantly hooked. As a homage to my 40k Death Guard army, you'll see EPIC marines (painted in the 30k Death Guard livery) running though the legs of one of my Warlord titans.

New recruits!

In November 2018, I purchased an additional box of knights (meaning three formations of three knights … all armed the same in each formation), four warhounds and two Reavers. Within my 'Grand plan', this gave both players a Warlord, a Reaver and two Warhound titans to field.

With three formations of knights, In February 2019 I purchased a formation of Cerastus knights to allow two formations per player. I also bought the weapon upgrade packs for both the Reaver titan and the Warlord titan to add more variety.

Legio Mortis Adeptus Titanicus Force

Below you'll see photos of my force, starting with my two Warlord Titans.


Though the power claw looks really cool, I don't think that I will ever use it due to the Warlords speed. Instead, I think I might arm my Warlord titan with two Sunfury Plasma Annihilators. Why not Volcano Cannons? The Volcano Cannon is great … as long as the target you are shooting at has had their Void Shields stripped. If not, it's probably not worth firing them as you'll cause more damage to yourself (though your reactor) than you will to your opponent. The Plasma Annihilators have two settings'; I can use them on low without any concerns about hurting myself, and then take full advantage of the 'Maximal Fire' trait to do some serious damage to a titan once their shields have gone. The Plasma Annihilators are 10 points, per gun, cheaper too.

All of the titans weapons are magnetised. There are also magnets in the model's base so that the Warlord can be detached from it's base (making it's a lot easier to put in my case).

2 Warlord titans – 2 Volcano Cannons each, one with Apocalypse Missile Launchers and the other with a pair of Paired Turbo Laser Destructors = 1,045 points


With a speed of 9” (if the reactors are pushed) compared to the Warlord titan's 6”, I am thinking of making my Reaver the combat monster of the army. Arming him with two close combat weapons will keep the cost down too! Playing the stratagem 'Blind Barrage' (-2 to hit) will help keep him alive longer.

All of the titans weapons are magnetised. There are also magnets in the model's base so that the Reaver can be detached from it's base (making it's a lot easier to put in my case).

2 Reaver titans – one with a Volcano Cannon, Laser Blaster and a Turbo Laser Destroyer. The other with a Laser Blaster, Melta Cannon and Apocalypse Missile Launcher = 640 points


With their excellent speed, small scale and number of manovers, the Warhounds are so manoeuvrable that I feel they are a must in any army. I plan to get these around the flanks and up, close, and personal therefore, their weapons load-out will be done to match.

All of the Warhounds weapons are magnetised. There are also magnets within the body of the Warhound, allowing me to pivot the model towards it's foe.

4 Warhound titans = each one with a Plasma Blastgun and a Turbo Laser Destructor = 920 points


I was told that, having knight formations with the same weapons load-out is best, therefore, I bought three boxes of knights so that I could do this. Their greatest strength is in close combat therefore, I might just equip them with cheap shooting weapons as it won't make a lot of difference.

I do however want to purchase the Storm Spear Rocket Pods for more variety.

3 formations of 3 knights – each with a melee weapon and a Storm Spear Rocket Pod. One formation with Avenger Gatling Cannons, one with Thermal Cannons and the other with Rapid-fire Battlecannons = 670 points




 

Purchased for some variety, I have been told that these guys are monsters in combat though, mine haven't hit the table yet.

One formation of 2 knights – 170 points

Maximum number of points for my Legio Mortis Army = 3,445 points

I have also painted a bit of the Adeptus Titanicus terrain. This was done quickly using a base coat of bleached bone, a wash of serpent sepier and a drybrush of Bleached Bone. I also painted all of the tokens using the same method ... but with silver as the colour and the drybrush colour.

My target is to allow both players to build a 1,250pt army with choice (so two 1,500pt forces). As you can see; I am almost there. For now, I am going to wait to see what else is released however, if nothing takes my fancy, I might buy another box of Cerastus knights and Questoris knights as that should give enough options for everyone.

So … what is in your current army?

Currently, I am playing 1,250 point games of Adeptus Titanicus with my friends (which lasts around 2hours and 30 mins per game). 1,250 points allows a player to have two stratagem points. For my force below, I have gone for 'Blind Barge' (-2 to be hit AND to hit targets – once use only … help to protect my Reaver) and 'Break through' (+1 VP for every Scale 4 model within 9” of the opponent's table edge).

Axiom Battleline ManipleIf I fail a command check, I can keep going with other titans.

Warlord Titan – 2x Sunfury Plasma Annihilators, Carapace Apocalypse Missile Launchers = 490 points

Reaver Titan – Reaver Titan Chainfist, Melta Cannon, Carapace Apocalypse Missile Launcher = 315 points

Warhound Titan – Vulcan Mega-Bolter, Inferno Gun = 210 points
Warhound Titan – Vulcan Mega-Bolter, Inferno Gun = 210 points

Total 1,225pts

If I play a 1,500pt game, I would include a formation of knights.

Right … that's it from me. I am now heading back into the diseased world of Nurgle as I received a few more units at Christmas to bulk my 40k army out. Hopefully, the next update won't be as long as this one was.

Toodle Pip!

1 comment:

  1. Well, they look most impressive! I know what you mean about decisions to invest. I'm still kicking myself for not getting more AI stuff when it was available (the stuff goes for silly money on ebay). Although Vanguard miniatures do have some possible replacements.

    I was also pretty excited when I heard they would be doing Adeptus Titanicus again, but the choice of scale (which does result in some great models) and that incredibly high price point is keeping me out, especially given how rarely I get a game in these days, and time to paint, and storage...

    I have found myself going through a very similar thought process with a couple of other games too, specifically Cruel Seas and Blood Red Skies. I've successfully resisted both so far, as I can do without more games to store that I don't play!

    That said, if I can find a time, I'd be happy to help you make that three outings for the big guys...

    ReplyDelete