Sunday 18 November 2018

Titans walk this land






Back in August, I had a decision to make. Not a hugely important one as 'life' goes; no, I had to decide whether I would invest in ForeWorld's new (kind of new) game Adeptus Titanicus. 

One of my most favourite games is Forgeworld's Aeronautica Imperalis. A dogfight of a game happening in the skies of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. If you have a look through this blog, you will see that I have a sizable Tau fleet. You will also note that my Tau fleet is the only fleet I have. Now that the game is no longer supported, I wish that I had bought a second fleet so that, I could still play games with people without a force.

Coming back to the present day, I had to make the decision of whether to support another Foreworld game. After much ummming and arrrring, I decided to take the plug however, this time, I would go 'all in' and make sure that I bought enough stuff for two players to have an enjoyable 3/4 hour game.

I started off by buying the 'Grand Master edition' comprising of two Warlord Titans, six Knights, the rule book and a load of terrain. The kits took forever to build. I decided to paint my terrain and 'game pieces' quickly. The terrain was sprayed Bleached Bone, followed by a wash a Serpent Sepier, followed by a heavy dry-brush of Bleached Bone and then a soft dry-brush of Skull White. The 'game pieces' were just as quick; after being sprayed silver, they were washed with 'Armour Wash' and then dry-brushed silver again.

The Two Warlords were my next endevour. I decided to paint my models up as the Legio Mortis; one of the first legions to follow Horus. Mortis aligned themselves with the Death Guard for most of the Horus Heresy (and, as I have just painted a Death Guard army for 40k, it all seemed to fit quite nicely).Though the paint scheme was pretty simple to do; I was very worried that the model would look uninteresting; that it would be too black and too metalic. I therefore decided to do a lot of work on the bases to make the models more inviting.





Actually, my fears didn't come to pass and, once the Warlord Titans had been finished, I was pleasantly suprised with the outcome. I was also pleasantly suprise when I played the game; firstly it is a very good game and secondly, even having just a single titan and some Knights per side, the game can take a good hour-and-a-half or so.


Learning from my past mistakes with Aeronautica Imperalis, my next plan was to buy enough stuff for two people to play this game in case support is pulled. Unlike with my favourite air-combat game, I wasn't going to be left with just a single fighting force. So with £200 already spent, I spent another £200 and bought two Reavers, four Warhounds and another three Knights.






It has taken me almost twenty hours just to build the extra six titans and three Knights. Two Warhounds and the three extra Knights were built a couple of weeks ago however, yesterday, I was up until 3am building the rest of the kits and milliputting the bases and models. In the photos you will see additional weapons lying on the table. I have built all weapons and magantised them to allow for maximum versitality. Even though all of it will be painted Legio Mortis, there is nothing stopping me splitting the force in half and allowing for a good 3/4 hour game.

So titans walk. The only question is; how many times will they walk onto a battlefield.

Toodle Pip!

No comments:

Post a Comment