Sunday 19 November 2017

Another post, and another bloodbowl team completed

Yes indeedly sports fans,

 It's been about nine weeks since my last update and, in that time, I have painted my fifth and final Bloodbowl team; the Dwarfs! Before the Dwarfs, I painted a Dark Elf, Amazon, Ork and a Skaven team; three of which like to score and pass the ball whereas, one of those teams, forgets that there is a ball as soon as the whistle is blown. I therefore felt that I needed another 'bashing team'; a slow-paced grinding team and, with the stunning new Dwarf models from Games Workshop having just been released, (plus that beautiful - yet massively over-priced - Deathroller from Forgeworld) my mind was made up.

Now first and foremost; I cannot take credit for coming up with my paint scheme. A couple of months before I started this project, I stumbled upon a few photos of a Dwarf team within a Bloodbowl Facebook group. I quickly saved the photos and decided to change the tone of grey only (I made it a lot lighter). This is the first time I have worked with red as the main colour and, I have to say that, as long as you have bought a couple of different shades of red (as you can't add white to red to highlight it as it turns pink), red is a lovely colour to work with and I will be using it more often from now.

The bases, however, are my idea. I managed to buy a copy of the 'Dwarf and Skaven Bloodbowl board', and the Dwarf field is made up of stone slabs. Though the Dwarf Bloodbowl board's stone is all the same shade; I decided to mix the shades on my bases to try and give my bases more of a 'destroyed and run-down Dwarf stronghold' feel (this should also explain the different sizes of stone slab). Since returning from Japan, I have purchased at least three White Dwarf magazines. These days, I think Games Workshop's magazine is pretty good and I enjoy all of the articles. I especially like the painting articles where they talk to painters on how they created their pieces of art. Now I spend quite a lot of my time thinking about the environment my teams are playing in and therefore, how I want their bases to look. I also wanted to keep the viewer's eye solely on the model and so I needed a base which didn't distract from the figures.

In order to paint these models I followed the below steps:

Step 1 - Spray the models 'skull white' followed by 'Mephiston Red'. I then filled in any gaps the red spray had missed by using the paint 'Mephiston Red'. Finally, I washed the entire model using a GW red wash.

Step 2 - I switched over to Coat 'D' Arms paints and painted the cloth 'Shadow Grey', the leather 'Hairy Brown' and the gold with 'Bright Gold'. Any jewels were painted with a brilliant Coat 'D' Arms paint called 'Enchanted Blue' and I used 'Dwarf skin' for the, errr, skin.

Step 3 - I washed the whole model with 'Atherax Earthshade'. I love washing a whole model in one glaze; I feel that it brings the whole model together.

Step 4 - I highlighted the all the red with GW's Mephiston Red. I then highlighted the edges of the red using Coat 'D' Arms 'Ruby Red'. I then highlighted the grey with 'Shadow Grey' followed by 'Lupid Grey'. The leather was highlighted with 'Hairy Brown' followed by 'Barbarian Leather'. The skin was only highlighted using 'Dwarf Flesh'. The jewels and gold were highlighted with the same colours I used in step 2.

Step 5 - For the base, I painted the whole thing in 'Grey Primer' before washing it in 'Atherax Earthshade'.  I then divided the base into 'stone slab' spaces, by drawing lines using a 'black' paint. I then used 'Shadow Grey', 'Lupid Grey', 'Elven Grey' and 'Grey Primer' and randomly painted in the 'slabs' until the whole base was full.

Below are photos of my team:

Dwarf linemen






Dwarf Deathroller





Dwarf Blockers


Dwarf Runners


Dwarf Slayers



The whole Dwarf Team







My Dwarf Team

12x Dwarf Linemen   840,000
2x Dwarf Runners      160,000
2x Dwarf Blockers     140,000
2x Dwarf Slayers       180,000
1x Dwarf Deathroller 160,000
3x Re-rolls                 150,000
2x Fanfactor                20,000
Total                       1,650,000

If you are wondering why there arn't any names that is because I haven't thought of any yet (not even my team name). If you have any topical - yet comical - names please let me know. One Dwarf will be called Bob and the Deathroller (not the Dwarf on top) is called Bertha.


Next ... Bloodbowl balls and markers!

Toodle Pip! 

2 comments:

  1. Well, if the deathroller is called 'Bertha', it's operator just has to be 'Bygg'...

    Great looking team and I see what you mean about the bases; attractive without being distracting. Good point about red too, difficult to highlight without going pink or orange. I've found going the other way and having deeper shading with a purple wash works sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea about the purple ... I will have to try that.

    I went to a Bloodbowl tournament two weeks ago and ... I won 'Best Painted Team'!

    Not bad.

    ReplyDelete